Re: mtab SNAFU

"David Fox" <dfox94085@gmail.com> writes:

> On 25 Nov 2007 10:59:25 -0500, Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> wrote:
>
> > desperation I deleted the multiple instances from /etc/mtab. I
> > should have consulted first, but didn't want to be pain.
> Yes, that's correct. Filesystems are mounted per /etc/fstab and if
> that is in good order, there shouldn't be a problem.

Well, rebooting was ultimately the answer, although for unrelated
reasons, being able to boot and then to communicate was a complicated
process that took a couple hours to straighten out. But all's well
now. Thanks.

Someone suggestdd doing:

  # cat /proc/mounts > /etc/mtab

which I presume is wrong because it involves modifying mtab, which I
infer from your comment should not be done.

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM