Re: (Continued)Re: really crazy: firefox become unusable

On Nov 25, 2007 2:37 PM, Serena Cantor <qipaishi2006@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I find the cause. It's ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp. It's a Chinese fonts package. After removing and
> purging it, the firefox is OK.
>
> Could anyone explain it? I have used the fonts package for a long time. It has been OK, but why
> does it cause problem NOW?

Maybe the Chinese font has Latin characters that have somehow become
the default.  I've received email with large line-drawing-style
characters, and I believe those have come from people using a big5
charset.  You can force iceweasel/icedove to use a specific font with
something like the following in <profile>/chrome/userChrome.css:

treechildren {
font-family: Nimbus Sans L !important;
font-size: 14px !important; }

That *should* set the font for everything -- menus, pages, dialogs --
but I'm not positive.  Unfortunately, the last I looked Mozilla's
chrome was essentially undocumented.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh