Re: New Motherboard/CPU/net ports/etc/etc. How to transfer packages?

> Hi,
>
> I have installed etch using an older cpu/motherboard.  Now I've gotten a
> new
> cpu/motherboard and my thinking is to re-install etch.  Is there a way to
> get the list of packages that are installed on the etch system into a
> file? I would then want to reinstall etch and havesomething (apt-get?)
> read that file and install the packages so that I have the same setup as
> before?
>
> Why am I not just putting the new motherboard in and trying to boot up?
> Becuase others have tried it and reported on the list that the system
> would start to boot and then freeze.

In most cases, same system will boot after hardware upgrade.
Better to try, and solve only those problems that you actually have :).

I have Debian systems that have been installed in 199x, and only upgraded
(both hardware and software) since then.