Re: Could you recommend file manager that are not based on KDE and GNOME?

On 1:10:06 pm 25/11/2007 Serena Cantor <qipaishi2006@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have used Linux for 8 years.
> I have not found any suitable file manager(FM).
> I use twm. I don't use KDE or GNOME. so don't recommend any FM based on
> KDE or GNOME I still use command line. I will prefer GUI FM so my life
> can be a little easier. I use sarge and etch.

A very nice, lightweight and fast file manager is Gentoo File Manager
(http://obsession.se/gentoo/). I'll just quote from the main page:

"gentoo is a modern, powerful, flexible, and utterly configurable file
manager for UNIX systems, written using the GTK+ 1.2.x toolkit. It aims to
be 100% graphically configurable; there's no need to edit config files by
hand and then restart the application. gentoo is somewhat inspired in its
look & feel by the classic Amiga program DirectoryOpus 4  (by GP Software),
but is not  a "clone". gentoo has been successfully tested on a variety of
platforms, including Linux (x86, Alpha, and PS2/MIPS), Solaris, FreeBSD,
NetBSD and OpenBSD."

I know you said no KDE or Gnome, but it only requires GTK+ 1.2.x, no WM
dependency.

Other than that, Midnight Commander is an excellent choice.