Re: Finding the name server owning a domain name

Chris Davies wrote:
Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
Is there a way to find which domain name server owns a given domain
name?
I have a friend that got a domain name as a present and he asked me
to help him point it in to the right address (it's pointing somewhere
else at the moment). The problem is that he doesn't know yet where it
is stored, so I am trying to find out where it is stored so that he
can ask for the username/password.

That'll be the registrar, then, which you can determine from "whois".

Be aware that there is no guaranteed link between the registrar and the
nameservers. For example, my own domain is registered with Namesco but
the nameservers are run by me and Zoneedit.com.

check out www.dnsstuff.com - lots of tools for tracking down information on a domain (registrar, nameservers, etc.)