Re: [OT] firefox 3

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

Very few [OT]'s nowadays.
Anybody try the new firefox 3?

I just downloaded it last night. I logged in on a second X session as a second user and untarred it in that user's home directory and ran it directly from there.

I only ran it 30 mins or so, and didn't "put it through it's paces". It didn't "feel" or look any different, really. (But I was running a dist-upgrade in the background part of that time, so that might have slowed things down.)

Then when I closed it and went to log out of X/Icewm, the machine froze. I didn't have another machine with which to try to remote in, so I don't know how frozen the machine was, but as far as I could tell from the console, it was totally non-responsive.

I have no idea what caused the freeze-up, but it seemed suspicious that it happened right when I was closing FF. Earlier I had closed FF, and when I restarted, was told an instance of FF was already running, so there may have been a dangling FF process still running from my earlier attempt. A second attempt at firing up FF started normally.

All this to say that my first taste of FF3 has not impressed me yet with speed or function, and I have a suspicion (very likely unjustified) that it contributed to my lock-up. Of course, it is beta software ....

(Oh, I also had Iceweasel-Sid running on the first X session under the first user, so that could have conceivably added to the problems.)

--
Kent