Re: 1 in 2 chance : need to issue "/etc/init.d/networking restart" after boot

Joris Van Herzele wrote:
Hi,

I installed Debian 4.0r1 on a test-box with known to be working hardware. Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the NIC's when running Debian.

I have around a 50% chance that after a reboot I have no network connectivity. The box has 3 NIC's : 1 onboard Intel NIC and 2 seperate GBit Realtek RTL8169sb/8110sb NIC's.

All are configured with static ip's. And everytime after boot they are assigned the correct ip's and are being reported as UP, but there is a 50% chance there is something wrong: eg. I can not even ping their own ip's.

The problem already occurs with just 1 NIC configured/enabled by the default Debian installer. Again here, after a fresh install I have around a 50% chance the 1 Realtek NIC that is enabled by the installer is not working. I reinstalled several times and during install it always works (can get dns-info and retrieve packages), only after reboot it starts to fail sometimes.

Because of the intermittency of the problem, I would first suspect autonegotiation. Try a different device on the opposite end, or if you roll your own kernel, just manually force the mode. (If this works, please report it as a potential bug in the NIC driver.)