Re: CTRL-ALT-F8 doesn't work

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 13:42:09 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wed November 21 2007, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > >     Option         "XkbVariant" "us"
> > > EndSection
> >
> > Try to change your xorg.conf to:
> >
> > Option         "XkbVariant" ""
>
> BINGO ! that did it!

Initially I did not think too much about xorg.conf since your problem
was caused by an upgrade without configuration change (if I understood
you correctly). I guess the new version of Xorg is somehow less tolerant
towards ill-defined configuration settings.

I meanwhile looked up the allowed XkbVariants for the "us" XkbLayout:

$ awk '/xkb_symbols/{print $2}' /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us
"basic"
"euro"
"intl"
"alt-intl"
"dvorak"
"dvorak-l"
"dvorak-r"
"dvorak-classic"
"rus"
"mac"
"colemak"
"altgr-intl"
"classmate"
"classmate-intl"
"classmate-alt-intl"
"classmate-altgr-intl"

Leaving it empty should be equivalent to choosing the "basic" variant.

          Florian   |