Re: Laptop Firewalling

* Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> [2007-11-21 08:32:41 -0500]:

> You could look at shorewall.  It has a great set of docs in
> shorewall-doc.

Yes, it does.  I use it at three systems on dedicated firewall boxes.
Hadn't thought about using it in a laptop environment.

> Your laptop has three potential interfaces: eth(cable), eth(wireless)
> and ppp.  Do the two eth end up with different unit numbers?

They do.

> From a firewall perspective, does it matter if at any
> given time you're using a particular interface?  Assuming that you're
> not forwarding, although perhaps the Nat config will change.
>
> You could create a set of config files for each setup and write a script
> that copies the correct set to /etc/shorewall then restarts shorewall.
> Have the script start when an interface goes up.

That's a darned good idea.  For hotels and such, I could start the
interface with some fairly stout (read paranoid) settings as well.

Any others out there?

Regards,
Klein