Re: xorg wont work and wont generate a log

Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> writes:

> Do you see anything interesting in /var/log/syslog?

nothing appears in syslog with the startx command, however everytime I
use gdm I get:

Nov 20 17:51:54 laptop gdm[4562]: WARNING: Failed to start X server
several times in a short time period; disabling display :0

> Is there any difference if you run startx as root? (Normally you should
> not do that, of course, but trying it might help to rule out permission
> problems.)

No real difference, it created a /root/.Xauthority file and said:
X:warning process set to priorty -1 instead of requested priority 0
then I got the same errors as in my original post.

Thanks all for the help so far btw..