Re: which package contains avisynth.dll

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

> When trying to play a .pls file obtained from
> http://www.npr.org/audiohelp/progstream.html , I found that it works fine
> with kaffeine, amarok etc., but does not work with mplayer.
>

> With mplayer, it gives the following error
>
> $mplayer shoutcast-playlist.pls
> MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 9)
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
> Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
> Can't init input joystick
> mplayer: could not connect to socket
> mplayer: No such file or directory
> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
> control.
>
> Playing shoutcast-playlist.pls.
> Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load:
> avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/codecs/avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll,
> /usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll
>

> Exiting... (End of file)
>

> Which package contains avisynth.dll? I tried looking at apt-file,
> apt-cache, google etc., but could not find it anywhere for Debian. What
> puzzles me is that the .pls works in amarok, kaffeine etc., but does not
> work with mplayer... Any ideas/suggestions?
>
> thanks
> raju
Hi Raju,
I know all about this avisnyth.dll file. I get similar messages to yours
when I try to connect to a sopcast server using mplayer. It seems to be
some kind of bogus error message that mplayer spews out when it can't
connect to a server for some reason. The answer seems to be, ignore it. The
same command line that gives me this message eventually connects to the
server if I keep trying so I know that I don't need avisynth.dll.
An example would be if I give the command line
$sp-sc-auth sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/6002 3908 8908 > /dev/null &
and then I try
mplayer -vo gl -framedrop http://localhost:8908/tv.asf
I often get the message that you got. If I'm patient and I keep trying I
eventually get throw and can watch my football match (or whatever). Success
does not seem to depend on having avisnyth.dll. Maybe this is just some
code not removed from the windows version of mplayer.
Cheers,
Jonathan