High IOWAIT

I'm running Plesk 7.5 on a Debian Sarge box. It has been running just fine for the last few months, but for the last week or two users have been complaining about slow mail delivery. Mail messages appear to be received just fine, but don't get written into the target Maildirs for anywhere from 2 to 6 hours after receipt.

I can't find anything obvious wrong with the system, except for this: this is a dual-CPU machine with hyperthreaded CPUs, so "top" reports 4 CPUs. Every time I run "top" it shows either 40-50% IOWait on all virtualCPUs, or near 0 IOWait on one virtual pair and near 100% on the other.

I haven't seen any hardware error messages in the logs, and I'm sort of at a loss as to what could be causing this ridiculous IOWait. Any suggestions?