Re: How to make a movie to play on Full Screen (on Wide-screen)

2007/11/16, Jabka Atu <mashrom.head@gmail.com>:
> Hello,...
Hi Jabka,

> when i play a movie that was designed for 4:3 screen xine will add black
> lines around the video.
>
> so i get "a smaller view inside a box".
>

> any ideas ?

I've got an idea, don't know if this is what you are looking for.

I've been using mplayer during about six months. Sometimes, I've got
the same black lines because mplayer autodetects the image ratio and
adjust it to the screen size. But, during the play, just press 'f' for
full screen mode and 'e' several times to adjust this ratio. As a
result, you will get the video image without horizontal black lines.

If you want to return to the original ratio, just press 'w' several times.
I know that you can also do this including some options during the
call in the command line, but I don't remember now what are they.

If you haven't installed mplayer just make
# apt-get install mplayer

You won't have all packages because it does not have mencoder (licence
problems, as far as I know), but it will work.
Also, you might need CODECs, so you will find them in
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
Look for Binary Codec Packages and download the one you need for your platform.

Extract the CODECs in
/usr/local/lib/codecs
(this is the default path...you might need to change this)

and now you can type from console
$ mplayer fullpathtothemovie
e.g. $mplayer /home/movie1.avi
e.g. $mplayer dvd://1
e.g. $mplayer dvd://2
e.g. $mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /media/something         (when the
data is in some directory)

As I said, press 'e' and 'w' to modify the pan.

You can also, download some skins for this player but I haven't ever used them.

In my experience it is a GREAT player, you can control so many
variables and still working with default configurations. So, my advice
is have a look.

You will find here part of the manual.
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html

Kind regards,

--
Oscar Blanco García
Ingeniero Electrónico - Universidad Nacional de Colombia