kernel headers and vmware

This machine is running Etch 2.6.18-5-686.  For some time, "apt upgrade" has
been holding back linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-6.  I just installed it anyway.
I rebooted, and the only problem I see so far is that I can't get vmware
rebuilt.  But first:

1. Was it a mistake to install linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-6?
2. If so, can I just uninstall it without causing havoc?

If the answer is "leave it installed", I can get back to the vmware issue.
I have installed vmware with no problems with the any-any-update on three
previous machines but am stuck now.

Thanks.