Re: unsed .deb packages??

joseph lockhart wrote:
--- Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

Andrew Reid wrote:
On Friday 16 November 2007 22:02, David Fox wrote:
On 11/16/07, Andrew Sackville-West
<andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
I think OP is looking for aptitude clean or
auto-clean. Check the man
page. It will remove debs that aren't current.
or something like that.
Actually, all that does is to remove either all
(clean) or selected
(auto-clean) - selected in the sense that they're
debs no longer
available. But it removes the debian packages in
/var/cache/apt/archives, not the actual packages
themselves.
[Common scenario elided]

I wonder if "deborphan" meets the OP's need?
It's a utility
that identifies "left over" packages that no other
packages
depend on.  Library packages that meet this
description are
probably left-overs and can be removed.

  See <http://packages.debian.org/etch/deborphan>
for more details.
				-- A.
Perhaps the OP is referring to .deb packages
accumulating in /var/cache/apt/archives. After many upgrades and dist-upgrades there will be quite a few old versions of many .deb files that build up. Also, uninstalled packages still leave their .deb files in the archives. I wrote a program a while back (in Python) which handles this for me, giving statistics on how many package .deb files exist which are not installed, or are duplicated in the archives. It then gives options for deleting them with, or without prompting. I don't know of any packaged program that does this, however. That's why I wrote my own. This is what the program shows when it is started
up:

CleanApt v0.4.0 - an apt cache cleaner

Total installed packages:    743   Total uninstalled
packages in archive: 23 Total packages in archive: 765 Total files in archive: 843
Packages in archive w/dups:   59   Files in archive
in dup pkgs: 137

Delete uninstalled packages from archive (y/N/p/q)?

Running the program with -d will automatically
remove dup deb files leaving only the one with the most recent date. Using -h will, of course, give a few screens of help on options and
usage.

sounds intresting, you have the .deb posted online
somewhere, or in a repository? I would be intrested in
looking at it.

jwlockhart

this user is penguin powered

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

My previous post had a link to where I have Cleanapt available on the web, but I will repost it here to make sure that people get it. It is not packaged as a .deb file.

  http://mysite.verizon.net/~mshapiro_42/index.html

From the main page, take the 'Misc' link, scroll to the bottom and click on 'Cleanapt.' It is posted as a text file so that you can view it online. Simply save the file to your computer and change or remove the extension. You will need to modify the permissions to make it executable. The program needs to be run as root to actually clean up the archives. I run it with sudo. It will run and display the opening statistics as a normal user, however.

--
Marc Shapiro