Re: unsed .deb packages??

On 11/16/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> I think OP is looking for aptitude clean or auto-clean. Check the man
> page. It will remove debs that aren't current. or something like that.

Actually, all that does is to remove either all (clean) or selected
(auto-clean) - selected in the sense that they're debs no longer
available. But it removes the debian packages in
/var/cache/apt/archives, not the actual packages themselves.

A common scenario:

user has whatsit-1.3.0-1.deb package installed, and has that .deb file
in his /var/cache/apt/archives directory. He then does an upgrade, and
fetches whatsit-1.3.0-3.deb. The upgrade process removes the files
that comprised 1.3.0-1, and replaces them with the files from 1.3.0-3,
of course, but both the debs for whatsit exist in
/var/cache/apt/archives. If the user does an aptitude autoclean, it'll
remove the old version of whatsit (1.3.0-1) in that directory.