Re: Re: Re: Dovecot duplicating emails

Hi guys,

after a lot of grief and a bit of experimenting around, I think I have now found a (the?) solution. I was missing the package inotify-tools on my system. I came across it reading about dovecot using inotify on Linux systems.

After installation of this package, my email duplication issue went away (~24 hours running now). No other installs were done. (Debian Etch ungraded from Sarge, still using dovecot1.0.0-1~bpo.1 (dovecot-common and dovecot-imap) on Intel hardware with IDE disk and ext3, Maildirs in home directories. Maildirs fairly large with several GB)

So the question is: should the dovecot package have the inotify package as a dependency?

Alexander

Just to summarise what I have found:
qmail was repeat delivering email to the Maildirs. Each delivery was reported as deferral: Temporary_error_on_maildir_delivery._(#4.3.0)/ in the qmail log. But while the message already existed in copy in the Maildir it was not removed from the qmail queue and so qmail would try again according to its redelivery schedule, causing the same error as above. I found that when stopping dovecot (safer than just closing the mail reader) the mails eventually did get delivered one last time and properly to the Maildir with the qmail queue flushed.

Thanks to anyone who helped.

Alexander

--
Alexander Banthien