Re: unable to start xcdroast as root

> Hi,  From the root console:
> # /usr/bin/xcdroast
>
> The reply:
>
> (xcdroast:18770): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open
> display:
>
> If I start from a user console I get the window that
> says you must first start as root to set up.
>
> If I set the suid bit on xcdroast it tries to start
> from a user but dies.
>
> Any help or ideas appreciated.
>
> Debian unstable - kernel version = 2.6.17.8

  I wonder what desktop environment you are using?
Gnome, KDE, XFCE4, something else?

  Anyway, I found that I could run GUI programs as
root when using Gnome, but when I installed XFCE4 I
could not.  After reading various docs, I discovered a
fix:

    xhost +local:root

I'm not promising that will work for you, but it's
worth a shot.

HTH YMMV,
Dave Witbrodt