Re: No sound with video

On Thursday 15 November 2007, Ralph Katz wrote:
> On 11/15/2007 11:50 AM, Tom Ashley wrote:
> > I'm stumped and need help with configuring my computer for sound with
> > video.  I can play CD's and listen to audio streams but get no sound
> > with video feeds (CNN, MSNBC, You Tube, etc.).  I've searched the list
> > archives and Google for the past 3 days finding similar problems but
> > none of the solutions help in my situation.
> >
> > I'm running Debian Etch on a P4 with 2GB RAM; sound card is C-Media
> > Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10).
> >

> > The permissions are okay; my user name is in the audio group.
> >
> > If I understand correctly, ALSA is correctly configured and activated.
> > Per cat /proc/modules:
> >

> > I'd appreciate if anyone can offer a solution or point me in the right
> > direction.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Hi Tom -- Yes, it's frustrating.  Search for my posts here in 2007 for
> my struggles and solutions with sound on etch.
>
> You have sound, you say.  But not with video.
>
> Which players work/don't work?  Sound with flash running thru a browser
> is different from sound from an mpeg4 file playing on mplayer.
>
> If you use mplayer, what's in .mplayer/config?
>
> This list is the right place.  Just provide some more detail, and the
> experts will jump in after we mere mortals swing and miss. :-P
>
> Good luck,
> Ralph

Hi,

If you are using xine as your engine, and trying to play mp3s, then you need
to make sure you have the following installed:

libxine1-ffmpeg

Once you install that, then go into your home directory and remove the .xine/.

I was having problems listening to mp3 streams and doing the above resolved my
problems.  I note that using the mplayer engine in kmplayer worked fine
however, if switching to the xine engine for kmplayer or amarok, mp3s
wouldn't play without the addition of libxine1-ffmpeg library.

The above assumes you are using the xine engine for your sound.  If you are
using other engines, this fix shouldn't resolve your problem.

John