Re: Locale Problem

Kumar Appaiah wrote:
On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 09:18:49PM -0800, Jeff Grossman wrote:
I get the following error messages whenever I update or install a program with aptitude:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
[snip]

The simplest thing would be to set export LANG=en_US (or similar) in
your bashrc. But the proper way would be to run dpkg-reconfigure
locales and choose only the locales you are intersted in and set the
right default locale.

HTH.

Kumar
I have run the "dpkg-reconfigure locales" command numerous times. Here is the output of my /etc/locale.gen file:

root@apple /etc # less locale.gen
# This file lists locales that you wish to have built. You can find a list
# of valid supported locales at /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED. Other
# combinations are possible, but may not be well tested. If you change
# this file, you need to rerun locale-gen.
#

en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15
root@apple /etc #

And, here is what I have in my bash.bashrc file:

export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8"
export LANG="en_US"
export LANGUAGE="en_US"

And, I get the error about the missing locale files. If I change the "export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8" to "export LC_ALL="en_US" then I do not get the error from Perl. But, I do get the following output when I run 'aptitude update' which seems weird to me:

Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable Release.gpg [378B]
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/contrib Translation-en_US

What seems weird to me is the "Translation-en_US" part. I don't have that output if I use hte UTF-8 version of the locale.

I guess one of my main questions is, what LC_ALL, LANG, and LANGUAGE settings do I use for US/English?

Thanks,
Jeff