Re: Out-Of-Sync Synaptic

Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 07:45:35AM -0700, Travis Crook <travis@visionsbeyond.com> was heard to say:
>> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 07:28:54 +0000
>> Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Do apt and aptitude also show evince as not installed? ie
>> >
>> > 	$ apt-cache show evince
>>
>> Shows evince installed.
>>
>> > 	$ aptitude show evince
>>
>> Shows evince not installed.
>> >

>   That's bizarre, then: if apt thinks evince is installed, synaptic
> should think so as well.  Try updating your package lists in synaptic
> and see if that helps?  Not that it should, but it's the only thing I
> can think of at this point.

I'm not certain that apt really thinks evince is installed, because
"apt-cache show <package>" does not seem to give information about
<package>'s installation status.  To find out, I'd try "apt-get
install evince"; if that reports that evince is already the newest
version, apt believes that evince is installed.

Regards,
        Sven