Re: Finding the name server owning a domain name

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:55:28 +0000
Chris Davies <chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk> wrote:

> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> > Is there a way to find which domain name server owns a given domain name? I
> > don't want to lookup the IP address but rather where the name is defined.
>
> What do you mean by "owns"? Do you mean the authoritative name server, or
> an email address corresponding to the person responsible for (owning)
> the domain, or do you actually want some contact details about the
> domain?

I have a friend that got a domain name as a present and he asked me to help him
point it in to the right address (it's pointing somewhere else at the moment).
The problem is that he doesn't know yet where it is stored, so I am trying to
find out where it is stored so that he can ask for the username/password.

whois and dig soa (as previously suggested) gave me the results, at least for
another site that I know the authoritative name server (apparently what it is
called), which is NS19A.NAMESERVERS.NET, and whois shows the proper owner, now
the next step is to find out what site to go to in order to change the settings.