installed xserver-xfree86, what to do to switch to it?

On Sarge, I just installed package xserver-xfree86 and in the
configuration specify to use the xserver-xfree86 server.

However, then run startx, I still get the old xserver-xvga
server (XF86_SVGA).

I even re-did the configuration (using dpkg-recongfigure).

What else do I need to do to get startx/initx/etc. to run the
xserver-xfree86 server?

I notice that the symbolic link /etc/X11/X still points to
/usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA.  Shouldn't the re-configuration have
changed that?  (Or is that link no longer used?  If not, what
file stored the choices of which server to run?

Thanks,
Daniel
--
Daniel B.