Re: want to install a driver for my video card

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 07:41:23PM -0800, David Fox wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2007 12:24 PM, tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> wrote:
> > i want to install a driver for my video card ( Intel Corporation 82852/855GM
> > Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01) from 'lspci'). looking at the debian site
> > i find 'xserver-xorg-video-intel', but when i try to apt-get it i get:
>
> You probably should do:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>
> rather than do something at that low level. Reconfiguring the X server
> should allow you to put in the right details for the card and it'll
> install the correct driver.

That would only work if he already has the driver installed (perhaps as
part of xserver-xorg-video-all.  Not everyone does; I don't.
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg will not call apt to install the driver
you need, it only chooses between the drivers you have installed.

Doug.