Re: rsync question

On Friday 09 November 2007, John O Laoi wrote:
> > Also, I get confused sometimes on the effects of a trailing slash on
> > source and target arguments.  Check for a ~/Documents/Documents/
> > directory or something.
>
> You are all correct.
> There is a  ~/Documents/Documents/.
>
> I must be using it incorrectly - I'll be more careful in future.
> John

Here is what I do with rsync:

rsync -aPn directory  machineB:~/directory

The 'n' option just does a dry run.  After you are convinced things are
working then remove the 'n' option.

If you put a trailing slash on the first directory, i.e.

rsync -aPn directory/ machineB:~/directory

you will get a new directory created on machineB, i.e.

~/directory/directory

John