Re: want to install a driver for my video card

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 12:24:07 -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> i want to install a driver for my video card ( Intel Corporation 82852/855GM
> Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01) from 'lspci'). looking at the debian site
> i find 'xserver-xorg-video-intel', but when i try to apt-get it i get:
>
> 	kloro@debian:~$ apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel
> 	Reading package lists... Done
> 	Building dependency tree... Done
> 	E: Couldn't find package xserver-xorg-video-intel
>
> shouldn't anything available at the debian site be also available to apt?

If you are on Etch you will need xserver-xorg-video-i810. Run
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and choose the "i810" driver if it is
not selected already.

xserver-xorg-video-intel is the new driver for these cards from Lenny
onwards, and the xserver-xorg-video-i810 package has become a
transitional package which installs the other one in the newer branches.

When in doubt, something like "apt-cache search intel video" will help
you in such situations.

          Florian   |