Re: Sid/Unstable

On Nov 8, 2007 7:52 PM, Jeff Grossman <jeff@stikman.com> wrote:
> I know this question is going to get a variety of answers, but I would
> like to get everybody's opinion.  I am currently running Testing with a
> few packages from Sid.  I just moved to Debian a few weeks ago.  I am
> running Debian as a home server which handles a website, e-mail server,
> samba server, a few other small server applications.  I am really the
> only user except for e-mail, I have about 4 users total on the system.
> More than anything running Linux is a complete learning experience for
> me.  I have noticed that it takes at least 10 days, if not more, to get
> updated packages from unstable to testing.  How dangerous would it be
> for me to move completely to unstable?  Has anybody completely trashed
> their system by running unstable?  I like to live on the cutting edge,
> but I also don't want my machine to completely die where it won't boot
> up anymore.

Personally, for security reasons, I'd say to run a server on stable.
Unless testing is as secure as stable now that it gets security
updates?  Unstable tends to be, well, unstable.  I've never heard of
it becoming unbootable, but it has been known to crash, get flaky, and
just generally have bugs you wouldn't want a server to have.

But that's my opinion; I also don't care about being bleeding edge,
I'm a security freak, and I take my server very seriously.

YMMV.

--
Vikki Roemer