Re: what's your favourite FLOSS?

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

This looks like it might be fun. First of all, while I do know the meaning of FLOSS I might choose to ignore that fact from time to time below.

audio editor:

N/A - I haven't really gotten into audio editing.

audio player:

mpg123

cd-ripper:

cdparanoia

desktop OR window manager:

Xfce when a GUI environment is absolutely necessary, otherwise I prefer to stick to text consoles.

DBMS:

PostgreSQL

development:

Well, I work as an IBM mainframe operator, so I'm thankful for the development of mainframes.

disc burner:

cdrecord

e-mail client:

Alpine

file manager:

ls

finance:

I'd love to be rich, but it doesn't look likely that it's going to happen.

ftp client:

ftp

image editor:

My graphics design skills are practically non-existant, but I have used gimp a few times.

image viewer:

xv

instant messenger:

yelling across the room

mathematics:

Well, I really liked algebra back in high school, but I hardly remember any of it these days.

misc utilities:

tar

I never watch the news.

p2p:

amule

package manager:

aptitude, although I'm closely following the development of IPS.

pdf-reader:

acroread

spreadsheet:

I try to avoid spreadsheets.  I prefer databases.

tag editor:

Sharpies, they work wonders for nametags and such.

terminal emulator:

c3270, but I find actual terminals work better than emulators.

text editor:

vim

video player:

xine

web browser:

Firefox.  And, if it's Firefox, get over it and call it Firefox.

word-processor:

LaTeX

anything unreleased and anticipated:

Indiana - well, the developer preview has been released. I am, however, anxiously awaiting the final, ready for primetime, release.

anything deserving great honours (EG. GCC):

clip, Aubit4GL

games:

canasta, cribbage, backgammon

non-free: