Problem building Linux Kernel

Hey,

I'm running Debian/Lenny which I update weekly. I downloaded the Linux source
version 2.6.23.1 from the kernel.org site and uncompressed the file all with
no problem. The next step was to create the configuration which I did by
running;

make defconfig

This ran again without a problem. I next wanted to modify that configuration
before I built the kernel which I tried to do by executing the following
command;

make menuconfig

This is where I am stuck! I get the following error message after executing
that command. [I have only included the first few lines of the error message
because the rest of the compiler errors are the result of the first few I
think. I can post the rest if needed.]

// Begin.

  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.o

In file included from scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:24:
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:32:20: error: curses.h: No such file or
directory

In file included from scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:24:
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:97: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list
before ‘chtype’

// End.

Seeing that I could build the default configuration without having to setup
any paths to source files I would have thought that the build for the
menuconfig would not require setting up any paths as well. But I can't find
any reference as to how these paths should be should be setup if that is was
I am supposed to do.

I am using Linux Kernel In a Nutshell as a reference and have read the README
that comes withs the kernel source as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy