Re: what is supposed to set $LANG?

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 20:34:31 -0500
David Clymer <david@zettazebra.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 23:59 +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > I noticed lately that $LANG is no longer set by default on my system. Seems
> > that it is defined correctly in /etc/defaults and when changing to root it
> > is also defined, but it is not defined for the default user
> >
> > seems like some programs get confused by the lack of a default encoding
>
> What is the output of localedef --list-archive  and/or the contents
> of /etc/locale.gen?

$ localedef --list-archive
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.utf8
he_IL
he_IL.iso88598
he_IL.utf8
hebrew

$ cat /etc/locale.gen
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_US ISO-8859-1
he_IL.UTF-8 UTF-8
he_IL ISO-8859-8

I found out yesterday that this must be a bash setup problem since open a
terminal doesn't set $LANG but su to a user does set it. I think that there is
a problem between the login shell and non-login shell