Re: what's your favourite FLOSS?

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 21:23 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2007 8:34 PM, Robert Jerrard <rjerrard@math.concordia.ab.ca> wrote:
> > On 2007-11-06, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Here's a template where you can fill in your favourites; feel free to
> > > add missing categories:
> > >
> > > audio player:
> > > *
> > gnome-cd

This a part of the gnome-media package. Not a big dealt, just a simple
player.

> How do I find this?
>
> > > video player:
> > > *
> > xmms
>
> Is there a video extension or this a mistake?

Yes, my mistake I was thinking of audio not video. I don't do much with
video so I suppose gxine.

> > emacs + LaTeX + metapost + metagraph
>
> interesting twist
>
> > > presentations:
> > > *
> > emacs + LaTeX + metapost + metagraph + powerdot
>
> Even more of an interesting twist. Are the results superior than those
> of OOo impress? Is the workflow faster?

I like these combinations since mostly I am text processing mathematics
in latex and all the nice math can be used directly in powerdot to
create very nice math powerpoint like slides in a pdf file. A bit of a
learning curve but the results are worth it. The use of metapost and
metagraph allow plots to be put directly in the tex file for processing
through latex with and without powerdot. You can create very high
quality math and graphs with this combination.

> > Dr. Robert J. Jerrard, Professor of Mathematics,
> Such credentials I can only dream of...
It is just a lot of time and work to get them.

Bob
--
Dr. Robert J. Jerrard, Professor of Mathematics,
Concordia University College of Alberta,