Re: Can't connect to local machine using ssh

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 16:22:22 -0800
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 05:24:28AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> > Micha Feigin wrote:
> >> Doesn't seem to be that. Also I just tried to create a new user on the
> >> machine
> >> and that user can login with no problem, only the original one (and root
> >> which
> >> seems to be enabled in the setup file)  can't. could this be  a shell
> >> setup
> >> problem?

I found the culprit, but not the solution. There is the thinkfinger pam module
that allows login in using a finger print. Everything works fine for other
logins when trying to use the password, but ssh fails for some reason. the
entry in /etc/pam.d/common-auth:

auth    sufficient      pam_thinkfinger.so
auth    required        pam_unix.so try_first_pass nullok_secure

Any ideas how to make both work?
thanks