Apache2 Dying

I give up.  I've spent all day, and part of yesterday, googling and
haven't been able to fix a thing.

Debian Etch
Apache 2.2.3-4etch1
MySQL 5.0.32
PHP 5.2.0-8+etch7
modules loaded:
alias.load          authz_groupfile.load  cgi.load      include.load
     php5.conf
auth_basic.load     authz_host.load       dir.conf      info.load
     php5.load
authn_file.load     authz_user.load       dir.load      mime.load
     rewrite.load
auth_pam.load       autoindex.load        env.load
negotiation.load  setenvif.load
authz_default.load  cache.load            expires.load  perl.load
     status.load

Apache stops serving pages and has to be reloaded.  I've looked at
all the logs and can find no rhyme nor reason to its stopping.
Everything else keeps working, meaning, that I can still access the
file system and run programs using a terminal and ssh.

For the life of me I cannot figure this out.  Anyone run across this
before or know how to fix it?  Thanks.

--
Raquel
Your life and my life flow into each other as wave flows into wave,