Re: how can I trust the driver

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 17:36:22 -0800 (PST)
Serena Cantor <qipaishi2006@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I download the driver from sourceforge. The site promise nothing.

You are fair in being paranoid about the drivers or for any other software for that matter. That is the advantage of Free Software as it allows for you and many other users of that software to delve into the source code and examine it for any security flaws.

However, that is the ideal situation. A regular user ideally cannot examine the source code of every software he/she uses. Thus, the best one can do is to examine the file I/O and network I/O when the specific software is in use. In your case, when the driver is in use you can check the outgoing network connections and file I/O if anything suspicious is going on.

I don't remember of the top of my head the commands to check network and file I/O but I have read them in the OpenBSD afterboot man page.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=afterboot&sektion=8

Good luck,
Amit