Re: Debian Lenny freezes in X

On Nov 6, 2007 9:59 AM, Lars <debs@utysket.dk> wrote:

> Hi
> I'm running Debian Lenny (kernel 2.6.22-2) on my laptop Asus
> M6Ne. After 5-10 min. in X the system freezes up (or
> part of it). When it happens, the keyboard and hotkeys stops
> responding. But the usb mouse/touchpad still works,
> although I can't change desktop, focus windows and etc. Half the
> time the powerbutton works and I can make a proper shutdown, the
> other it's killing the power. I've also tried with the standard ati
> module and the proprietary module fglrx. Wifi (ipw2200) module isn't
> loaded.
> I normally use Xfce4, but I read on bugs.debian.org something
> regarding freeze and audio. So yesterday I started using Gnome to
> have a stable X until the other problem got solved. But now I
> experienced a freeze, similar to the Xfce4. So now I'm quite lost on
> where to start.

On a recently updated testing system, but using kernel 2.6.21 (because
I can't get the Cisco VPN client to compile with 2.6.22), I've had
intermittent freezes of X too.  In fact, had one moment ago!  I was
able to Ctl-Alt-F2 to a console, where I logged in and ran top, which
reported 1 zombie process, which, it turned out, was ld-linux.so.2.  I
returned to the X console and used Ctrl-Backspace to end the session.
After restarting, I have no zombie processes.

So, is it a problem with ld-linux.so.2, and, if so, what's the fix?

Patrick