Re: how can I aptitude install without interaction

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 10:15:38AM +0800, hhding.gnu wrote:
> When I upgrade libpam0g??a dialog is show by aptitude to make me
> select services to restart. I want upgrade it without interaction. I
> have tried aptitude -q=100 -y -f install libpam0g??but it does not work.

The questions are asked by debconf.  Try:

# dpkg-reconfigure debconf

and set priority to high.  Then only high priority questions will be
asked.  I don't know if the questions about restarting services are high
priority or not.

Your aptitude -q tells aptitude to supress progress indication but
aptitude's job is only to fetch the correct packages (managing
dependancies); it tells dpkg to actually install the package.  Dpkg then
calls debconf to configure them.

According to the debconf man page, Joey Hess wrote it.  If nobody here
can solve the problem, ask him directly.

OTOH,  upgrades generally should be done with interaction unless you're
using something like cron-apt that does updates automatically.  I don't
know how it handles debconf questions.

Doug.