salome in debian etch

hello all,
I am trying to install salome in debian etch. At the salome website I have
downloaded the sarge tarball (there is none for etch).
The install wizard says mine is a "not supported linux platform" because is
not sarge and recognise only gcc of my system; it wants to install form its
binaries the rest of the software (even Opencascade 6.2, whichi is installed
on my system, is not recognised).
If I press the help button of the installer and search about the software
checking process, it says that "the general rule is that the path to the
binaries should be set via PATH environment variable, path to the library
should be set via LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable and the python modules should be
available via PYTHONPATH variable".
I think I have identified almost all the debian packages which are the
dependencies of salome:

libtool
tk8.4
python
sip4
puthon-qt3
libomniorb4c2
libhdf5-serial-1.65.-0
libvtk5
graphviz
doxygen
python-docutils
automake
autoconf

After installing them, I tried to experiment with tk8.4, putting
in /etc/profile:
TCLHOME=/usr/lib/tk8.4
export TCLHOME

but the installer keeps saying it will install it from its binaries. Is there
anyone who has tried to install salome without re-installing all the system
software?