Re: Could not find nfs package

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 11:36 +1100, Owen Townend wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 11:25 +1100, hce wrote:
> > Thanks Owen. To run nfs server, should I install both nfs-common and
> > nfs-user-server, or just nfs-common?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Jim

> > > Hey,
> > >   Try `apt-cache search nfs`
> > >   It should return the correct package names.
> > >   One of these is probably what you're after:
> > >
> > > nfs-common - NFS support files common to client and server
> > > nfs-kernel-server - support for NFS kernel server
> > > nfs-user-server - User space NFS server
> > >

> > > cheers,
> > > Owen.
> > >

> Hey,
>   nfs-kernel-server depends on nfs-common but I don't believe the
> userspace server does. Running `apt-get install nfs-user-server` will
> tell you of the dependancies and resolve them if it can. You can also
> use `apt-cache depend nfs-user-server` to find out.
>
> cheers,
> Owen.

btw, to actually answer the question, nfs-common doesn't include a
server, it has the needed dependencies for a client and the overlap with
the servers. The server packages extend on the common package with the
actual server files.
The userspace server seems to directly depend on the needed basics
(portmap etc) instead of the nfs-common package.

summary:
nfs-common alone = client
nfs-kernel-server + nfs-common = kernel server
nfs-user-server + (dependencies) = userspace server

cheers,
Owen.