ppscsi on recent kernels

hello all,

I got this "old" parallel port-connected flatbed
scanner (Microtek Scanmaker V300) which used to work
very well for me up till (including) kernel version
2.6.15 with the ppscsi modules. (ppscsi and onscsi).

After a recent upgrade to testing, which brought me
now to kernel 2.6.22, I'm not longer able to compile
the necessary  modules with this kernel.
I learned from the debian package tracking/bugreport
system
that the package is orphaned and no longer maintained.

As a workaround I keep a dual-boot with an older
kernel (2.6.15.7) to still be able to use the modules.
This got me wondering what I would do, if 1 day after
an upgrade of for example sane, this would no longer
work...
I don't use the scanner often but it still is very
useful to me  and I would like to avoid buying a new
one.

I found on the web (yes, seems I'm not alone, hèhè)
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/scanjet-5100c-in-kubuntu-feisty-555861/

http://www.nabble.com/Scanning-stops-immedaitely-in-Feisty-Fawn-t4555558.html

http://www.ubuntu-es.org/index.php?q=node/50248

 a patch for the ppscsi-source which makes it possible
to compile the program and that lets me successfully
insert the modules.

unfortunately the scanner does not work properly yet:
- verbose output from scanimage (this as root/ the
same result as normal user):

number1:/home/dewaele# scanimage -vvvv -d
microtek2:/dev/sg4
scanimage: scanning image of size 611x842 pixels at 24
bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame
P6
# SANE data follows
611 842
255
scanimage: min/max graylevel value = 255/0
scanimage: read 0 bytes in total
Closing device
Calling sane_exit
scanimage: finished

scanimage stops immediately, no image is saved.
version of sane 1.0.14-2 (debian testing)

- with xsane 0.99+0.991-5,  as plugin in gimp, I am
able to take a preview-shot, but the program gives me
immediately an empty window, and no picture is
scanned/shown.

- with the the quiteinsane 0.3-8 gimp2.0-quiteinsane
plugin, I also can take a preview, but when I want to
do the real scan, I get this messagewindow :  "the
device returned an unexpected SANE_STATUS_EOF"

So this is where I get but no further...

I was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right
direction where I could find a solution to still be
able to use this scanner.
Unfortunately I don't have the necessary
skills/knowledge of how to write/correct this program
myself, so I would appreciate it anyone could help me.
Any help is appreciated.

TIA and best regards,

Johan

Van Johan & Katrien Dewaele²