Debian Failure Setting Password

I've run into a problem after I performed the following:

[1] Changed the password for my root user with the usermod command.
[2] Changed the password of a non-root user with the usermod command.
[3] Added a new user with a password using the useradd command.

After making these changes I could no longer log in as the root user
or the non-root user for whom I changed the password. I also could not
log in as the new user. I  tried this with both old and new passwords.
(All  user names were recognized, but Debian is telling me the
passwords are incorrect.)

I booted with the System Rescue CD and followed the advice at this link:

http://www.debianadmin.com/forgot-root-password-or-reset-root-password-in-debian.html

When I edited the etc/shadow file I found the passwords for the root
user, non-root user, and new user to be exactly as I had set them with
the usermod and useradd commands. The passwords are the same ones that
failed. I reset them using nano and System Rescue CD.

After a reboot the original passwords, the new passwords, and the
passwords reset using the System Rescue CD all failed.

Note: I had one existing non-root user whose password I did not
modify. I can still log into my system using this user. I am know
backing up that users data in case I have to reinstall.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I'm really wishing that I
wouldn't have reset that root password now. It's the last time I'll
ever do that.

I really appreciate any suggestion on  how to resolve this. I hope I
don't have to reinstall and/or loose the data for the other users.

Scott Huey