Re: reverting to 'standard' etch installation

michael wrote:
Folks, I made a cuckoo (mess up) - I had installed Etch from netinst and done the upgrades. That was a while ago. Last night I decided I wanted gnomad2 from unstable so amended my /etc/apt/sources.list and installed it (along with other dependencies, particularly I remember OO being removed/(re)installed). Now I seem to be having problems with gdm/X (non-responding). I think I'd prefer the stable Etch without gnomad2, but how do I easily "unroll" what I did last night? I'm happy to re-install Etch from the CD but is there a quicker way and anyway not to lose the data on the HD?
Pointers to FAQs (surely I'm not the first!) are most welcome!

T.I.A.
Michael

You can try using the apt_preferences file in /etc/apt

For me, adding the following lines and doing an apt-get dis-upgrade once worked (that was long ago for going back to sarge from etch)

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 1001

YMMV