Re: risks of using net apps as a user in wheel or adm?

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 02:41:11PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 13:19:58 -0400
> "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
>
> > This is a more general question to an issue that came up in another
> > thread.
> >
> > Not to single out Iceweasel but, for example, IIUC, javascript and
> > flashplayer end up running someone else's code on your computer as you.
> >
> > What are the security implications of this?  What could a malicious
> > flash or piece of javascript really do you files in your home directory?
> >
> > What are the security implications of this if you are also a member of
> > group wheel, adm, or staff?
>
> I would add that many users, especially on single user machines,
> probably have something like:
>
> username ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL
>
> in /etc/sudoers

well, that's a problem. I don't do that on any machine, just because I
want to be forced to enter a sudo password so that I think that extra
thought before doing whatever it is I'm about to do.

Now for specific commands? sure like NOPASSWD:/sbin/shutdown on my
laptop, because that's just convenient and if someone wants to hack my
lappy and shut it down, well, more power to them...