Re: apt-get failing

On Nov 2, 12:40 am, Jude DaShiell <jdash...@shellworld.net> wrote:
> See if you can get out to google.com with your browser and if you do so,
> have your browser refresh the page and see if the google.com page comes up
> again.  If it doesn't you've either got a modem needing updating or
> another internet connectivity problem.  you could try dhclient -r &&
> ifconfig eth0 -promisc && dhclient and see if your network comes up.
> Then tryapt-getupdate again to see what happens.  Same failure, your
> modem may need updating of software and/or firmware.
>
> --

Thanks for all your help guys. The dns entry in my resolv.conf was
pointing to its own ip address (it is not a dns server) and the second
entry was a public dns server (4.2.2.1) that must have been down for a
few days. All is working now but I will remove the entry pointing to
its own ip address and put in a couple of other public dns servers.
Many many thanks for sorting this out.