Re: package

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 11:02:51AM -0700, ann kok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> sorry. I still don't get it
>
> I install apt-file as suggestion.
>
> but I run this command, I get nothing !
>
> apt-file search `which ip` | grep "ip$"

this command doesn't work, because the this command is structured
based on the assumption that the ip command is already installed. But
in your case, that command isn't installed, so it fails.

> in addition, what do I know what package I should
> install when I would like to use this command eg: "ip
> addr"

the package you want to install is iproute.

In the future, you can research this yourself with they apt-file
command by doing something like:

apt-file search <string to search for>