Re: 1GB RAM is missing.

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 05:34 -0700, pgega wrote:
> On Oct 22, 10:00 pm, Pasi Oja-Nisula <p...@iki.fi> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 11:29:37AM -0000, pgega wrote:
> > > Pasi: what was the RAM seend by BIOS , when I use 4 GiB ,bios sees
> > > only 3052 GiB (But the MSI board can hadle up to 8 GiB)
> >
> > > If I would rise RAM number with GRUB (like you, 3900GiB), could I get
> > > more then seen by bios (3052 GiB) ?
> >
> > In my case bios reports 3903 MB. Anyway, the usable limit in my machine
> > is less than what the bios reports.
> >
> > One instruction I have heard about these problems was to make sure
> > that bios setting "memory remap" is on. Whatever that is, my bios
> > doesn't have that.
> >
> > Pasi
> >
> > --
>  OK, I will check this option,
>
> My bios reports two values:
> Physical memory : 4G
> and Usage memory 3G
>
> And, god sake, I do not know how to enable more ram, in other hand
> board supports up to 8G, none of RAM sticks is broken.

Hey,
  The best explanation of the 3-4GB RAM issue is this page:
  http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm "Ask Dan: What's with the 3Gb memory barrier?"
  The author is a writer for a tech mag here in Oz called Atomic.

because your computer maps other devices into the ram address space. For
example the biggest culprit is video card memory. If you have a 512MB
card, this takes 512MB of the address space. If you have a dual card
768MB SLI rig then this takes 1.5GB from your space etc, etc.

cheers,
Owen.