Re: Log Question

s. keeling wrote:
Jeff Grossman <jeff@stikman.com>:
 I just upgraded the following packages this morning from testing:

 [UPGRADE] console-data 2:1.02-2 -> 2:1.03-1
 [UPGRADE] dictionaries-common 0.85.2 -> 0.86.2
 [UPGRADE] razor 2.810-2 -> 1:2.84-1

I am using MIMEDefang with Sendmail to do mail filtering. Here is a copy of one of those logs from MIMEDefang:

Oct 28 04:15:02 apple mimedefang.pl[12585]: greylist: white; 0; 82.118.211.*; dovecot-bounces@dovecot.org; *@stikman.com;

 Those are put into my /var/log/maillog log file.

 After the upgrade, the above log line looks like this:

Oct 28 09:44:18 apple check[5889]: greylist: white; 0; 70.103.162.*; bounce-debian-user=jeff=stikman.com@lists.debian.org; *@stikman.com;

 And, the lines are now put in /var/log/messages.

If you notice it says the process is now check instead of mimedefang.pl sending the output. How come that changed? I have restarted mimedefang and sysklogd, but no change.

I would guess the install changed syslog.conf.  Did you accept the
maintainer's version, or keep your own?

No.  I have gone through that file many times and nothing has changed in
it.  Here is the output of that file:

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
#*.info;cron.none;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none     /var/log/messages
*.info;cron.none;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none      /var/log/messages

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
#authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure

# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*                                                  /var/log/maillog

# Log cron stuff
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron

# Everybody gets emergency messages, plus log them on another
# machine.
*.emerg                                                 *

# Save boot messages also to boot.log
local7.*                                                /var/log/boot

#  Log all news items
news.*                                                  /var/log/news

#  Log all mail notices
mail.notice
/var/log/mailerror

Jeff