Re: Help With Dependencies

Nate Duehr wrote:

On Oct 29, 2007, at 5:30 PM, Jeff Grossman wrote:

I want to install Mercurial. If I use aptitude install mercurial I get the following:

dbus dbus-x11 esound-clients esound-common fam fontconfig
hicolor-icon-theme jackd kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdiff3 libakode2
libart-2.0-2 libarts1-akode libarts1c2a libartsc0 libasound2 libaudio2
libaudiofile0 libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3
libavahi-qt3-1 libavc1394-0 libdbus-1-3 libdrm2 libesd0 libfam0 libflac8
libfreebob0 libfs6 libgl1-mesa-glx libglu1-mesa libice6 libiec61883-0
libjack0 libjasper1 liblcms1 liblua50 liblualib50 libmad0 libmng1 libogg0
libopenexr2ldbl libqt3-mt libraw1394-8 libsamplerate0 libsm6 libsndfile1
libspeex1 libtiff4 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2 libvorbisfile3 libxaw7
libxcursor1 libxdamage1 libxext6 libxfixes3 libxft2 libxi6 libxinerama1
libxkbfile1 libxmu6 libxmuu1 libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxslt1.1 libxss1
libxt6 libxtrap6 libxtst6 libxv1 libxxf86dga1 libxxf86vm1 menu menu-xdg
mercurial portmap python python-minimal python-support python2.4
python2.4-minimal python2.5 python2.5-minimal qjackctl xbase-clients

But, if I use apt-get install mercurial I get:

mercurial python python-minimal python-support python2.4 python2.4-minimal
python2.5 python2.5-minimal

How come such a difference? I don't want to install all of that other stuff. I just want to install mercurial and what is required to run that program.

I think what you're seeing is that apt-get and aptitude handle the "Suggests: " and "Recommended: " directives differently.

You can change that behavior in the aptitude menus, I believe, if you feel like it.

Also, are you sure that aptitude isn't completing some earlier installations done outside of aptitude?

What happens in aptitude's user interface if you just launch it without asking it to install anything? Does it still want to?

Perhaps it is "catching up" on packages that are already installed and their recommended siblings.

I removed the option to automatically install recommended packages and now aptitude behaves like apt-get. Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, there were no pending installs. If I hit 'g' when I got into aptitude it said there was nothing to do. Those were all recommended packages for the Mercurial install I guess.

Jeff