Re: alsaconf and printing

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 00:02:56 -0000, Ed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Debian but basically I have it running, with at least two
> problems.  The first is every time I reboot, I have to run alsaconf
> before I can get any audio.  I haven't noticed any place where I should
> save anything.  Basically, I just bring up a terminal window, become
> root, type alsaconf, follow the screens and eventually it tells me id is
> done and to enjoy using it.  Rhythmbox, for instance, then works
> perfectly until I reboot.  Then I have to run aslaconf again.

This sounds like some modules do not get loaded automatically. You can
run

lsmod | grep snd

to compare the situation before and after you run alsaconf. My guess is
that snd_pcm_oss is missing. A quick test is to run

modprobe snd_pcm_oss

as root; this may restore your audio without running alsaconf. You can
add missing modules to /etc/modules to have them loaded automatically at
boot time.

> The 2nd problem is with printing.  I have my printer connected to another
> computer on my home network that is running samba.  On the debian
> computer, I choose Desktop->Administration->Printing and Add Printer.  I
> then follow all the screens (for windows printer (smb)) and it appears
> everything is fine. It sees my network and the computer the printer is
> connected to and all seems well until I get to the last screen.  When I
> hit Apply, this windows closes, and only the original Add printer window
> is open with no new printer icon.  I am not sure what is happening here.
> Other computers on my home network print fine through the samba server.

Check if the file /etc/cups/printers.conf exists; if it does exist then
you should post it here so we can have a look. WATCH OUT: This file can
contain clear-text usernames and passwords! Change those to generic
placeholders ("USERNAME", "PASSWORD") before posting the file.

          Florian   |