all video players dropping frames when playing dvd's

Hi all,

I hadn't played a movie on any of my computers for 2 or 3 months, and tried to play one today as I had enough time to watch one. What I found is that movies that used to play very well on my laptop and my workstations will not play at all anymore. They drop frames so badly that the players, vlc, totem, and mplayer, all crash. The audio plays at varying speeds and drops frames/skips too. The other thing I found was that dvd's that I had copied to disk no longer play. Totem used to read .iso files and play them just as if it was reading off a dvd disk. Now Totem says it is missing a plugin and can't read them. VLC and Mplayer used to read those same .iso files and play back the movies very smoothly. Now they crash trying to play them. I used to play movies with 2-3% cpu usage at full screen, and the picture was crystal clear and the sound great. Now cpu usage is at 30-40%, and as I said, nothing plays worth a damn. What has happened to the ability to play movies in the last couple of months? If it was only one of my computers I'd be thinking it had a problem, but it's not. It's all of my computers. I haven't done anything to them other than just keep on updating them as I run Sid on all them. Is anyone else experiencing this same thing? It looks to me as if something has undergone a major change, but what?