system clock reset on reboot

hello,

since one or two months, my system clock is reset on every reboot.

# date
Sun Oct 28 11:37:15 CET 2007
# ntpdate-debian
27 Oct 15:52:03 ntpdate[14642]: step time server 134.34.3.19 offset -74779.179229 sec

if i'm correct, this is due to a wrongly set hardware clock. so i set
the hardware clock to the system time after running ntpdate-debian:

# hwclock --systohc

but after the next reboot, my system (and hardware) clock is again reset
to some date and time in the future (something about 1d 4h, not exactly).

i remember some debconf question at the installation of debian, where i
was asked whether my hardware clock is set to GMT. is GMT the same as UTC?
and to which package does this question belong?

could a wrong answer here be the reason for my issues? if this is the
case, it must have changed in debian/unstable within the last months, as
i didn't have this problem before.

greetings,
 jonas